As I mentioned last week, this is a weekly roundup of news and links related to location independent living and travel articles of interest.
– This month I travelled to Hanoi with Dan from TropicalMBA, where in between cafe hopping and eating great Vietnamese food, he was writing his first book. Hanoi made it on his list as one of the best places in Southeast Asia to write a book. The comments are providing plenty of other suggestions as well.
– Ryan and Liz from Pause The Moment give a couples cost of living report for Chiang Mai, Thailand.
– I have visited Penang numerous times since living in Southeast Asia under the guise of doing a visa run, but that was just an excuse to go on an eating holiday. Food is a serious business in Penang, and this article on the noodle master of Penang at Roads and kingdoms is a wonderful article on Penang food culture.
– Here Be Duck Trees and Sea Swine: A fun interactive Renaissance map of monsters of the deep.
– There were rumours this week about the death of John McAfee (he’s is still alive). If you don’t know the McAfee backstory, start here: Secrets, Schemes, and Lots of Guns: Inside John McAfee’s Heart of Darkness.
– One of my favourite travel movies is ten years old. Sofia Coppola discusses ‘Lost in Translation’ on its 10th Anniversary. I love this movie but seems to be one of those movies that you get or you don’t. the Amazon reviews have nearly as many 1 star reviews as 5 stars.
Office Of The Week
[Highlands Coffee, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City - Vietnam]